Thursday, March 21, 2013

Life as a Work of Heart

How did your five-year-old love to play? 
Did you make up games? 
What were they? 
What did you truly love?

Recently, speaking on the subject of Life as a Work of Heart, I asked this question of my audience. Gradual smiles softened their faces as they remembered.

In mid-life, this very self-inquiry changed my life. I realized it wasn’t food preparation that had led me into my long career in cooking and entertaining; it was the result—the gathering of people around the table in celebration, in sharing ideas, in connection! And so I then reinvented what I was doing and my career turned into something infinitely more satisfying.

Will you take a moment to recapture what gave you joy? 
Where did your inborn love lead you?

(Above is a Sprinkles Red Velvet Cupcake for your five-year-old.
You can keep them in the freezer--they thaw in only a few minutes for an
afternoon treat for yourself or when a friend drops in.)

It is so important to pay attention to what our hearts tell us. These words from the poem Love After Love by Derek Wolcott (click on the title for the whole poem), remind us of the deep meaning of our lives.

. . .Love again the stranger who was your self.
. . . Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.


With all the Go Red for Women events put on by the American Heart Association in February and March, here is a great gift for yourself. Marci Shimoff's new book, Love For No Reason is an astonishing teaching of the experience of pure love for its own sake. What I call Divine Love. Truly, every page is filling my heart with joy!

And, what better time of year, when hearts as a symbol of love are everywhere, to use something we take very much for granted, fresh strawberries, as a sign of celebration? This is so easy. I hope you will love it!

GOAT CHEESE WITH ROASTED SUNFLOWER SEEDS,
STRAWBERRY HEARTS AND HONEY
• Small log of goat cheese
• Roasted sunflower seeds (can use honey-roasted)
• Strawberry slices
• Honey to drizzle over all
Serve at room temperature with thinly sliced bread or crisp crackers





No comments:

Post a Comment